Advantage Injury Management Services exercise physiology specialists are able to provide tailored rehabilitation and gym programs to facilitate injury recover, injury management and return to work outcomes. The gym program is set up and monitored by an accredited exercise physiologist, who is an expert in injury management and rehabilitation following surgery and extended time off work as a result of injury or illness.
Gym program goals:
- Facilitate the best physical outcome for the client, including strength, range of movement and physical abilities.
- Provide education regarding safe movement, postures and manual handling required for work and home life.
- Provide specific conditioning, strength and movement to facilitate a return to all physical components of the clients normal work tasks. This is particularly effective in supplementing a graduated return to work.
There are also excellent benefits gained from participating in a gym program to assist recovery, routine and management of a psychological illness. Our exercise physiologists are skilled in working with clients with psychological conditions. In our experience a gym program can assist with gaining strength, confidence and control of a psychologist condition through the routine of a gym program, along with the benefits of endorphins that are released as a result of exercise and fitness.
What does a gym program involve?
1. Exercise physiology gym program – Initial assessment
A gym program always commences with an initial assessment. This assessment is completed with the client, by our exercise physiologist. The aim of the assessment is to ascertain a clear baseline of the client’s injury status and physical abilities/limitations. This assessment is usually completed at the gym, however can also be completed in the client’s home or our nearest Advantage Injury Management Services office.
Following the initial assessment, the client will be provided with a specific gym program. Our exercise physiologist will demonstrate how to perform the program, as well as documenting the program for the client. Instructions regarding self-directed attendance at the gym is verbalized and documented for the client.
An Advantage Injury Management Services gym program is always completed in a gym chosen by the client. Advantage Injury Management Services has relationships with all leading gym centers throughout Southeast Queensland, and as such are happy to use gyms that are close to home or work, whatever is most convenient to the client.
In most circumstances the gym membership costs are covered by the insurance company. Advantage Injury Management Services will facilitate this for the client. However, should an insurer not be involved with the injury management, costs will be provided by the client or employer. Such costs will be disclosed and confirmed in writing prior to the commencement of a gym program.
2. Exercise physiology gym program – Monitoring & subsequent sessions
Usually, our exercise physiologist will meet with the client on a weekly basis to assess progress, discuss any concerns, and progress the gym program. Our friendly exercise physiologists are happy to be contacted by phone at any time during the program to discuss concerns and questions related to the prescribed exercises and gym program.
The length of a gym program varies, and is dependent on the injury, recovery and the clients’ ability to self maintain their gym program and exercises. However, in most cases a minimum of 3 months is recommended to achieve excellent injury and return to work outcomes.
What to wear for your gym program?
It is recommended that gym appropriate attire be worn to the gym, for the initial assessment and consequent attendance. For example – shorts, t-shirt and running shoes is ideal. It is not appropriate to wear open-toe shoes or thongs. If you are not sure what is appropriate, please contact us to discuss prior to your assessment.
When to use a gym program?
- When a musculoskeletal injury requires greater than 8 weeks off work.
- If a client is unable to progress his/her suitable duties program.
- If required to perform very specific, physically laborious tasks to return to normal duties at work.
- Doctor recommends a gym program for injury management.
- Prolonged time off work due to injury or illness, which can lead to significant deconditioning.
- Psychological injury which leads to reduced social interaction and activity.
Although we understand that exercise, fitness and gym programs will improve a clients general fitness, health, well being and facilitate weight loss, it should be noted that this is not the primary goal of our programs. Our programs are focused on injury management and return to work outcomes. However, it is widely documented that gains of weight loss, and improved health, fitness and well being are largely gained in addition to injury results and return to work gains when participating in an Advantage Injury Management Services gym program.
Benefits of an Advantage Injury Management Services Gym Program:
There are a wide range of benefits from using Advantage Injury Management Services to provide a gym program:
- Our exercise physiologists are all accredited professionals, with specialist skills in injury management and recovery. All our exercise physiologists are extremely skilled, with tertiary qualifications. We do not employ any ‘personal trainers’ to perform this unique role.
- Gym programs are performed in gyms and fitness centers of the clients choice.
- Gym programs are focused on injury management, injury recovery and return to work outcomes.
- Our gym programs are outcome focused. We promote self-managed programs for long term gain where appropriate.
- Our exercise physiologists travel throughout South East Queensland to assist clients.