Advantage Injury Management Services is able to provide client’s with a tailored hydrotherapy program to rehabilitate injuries, and encourage injury management and return to work. The hydrotherapy program is set up and monitored by an accredited exercise physiologist, who is qualified and experienced in providing hydrotherapy treatment and programs.
Hydrotherapy goals are:
- Provide injury management and injury rehabilitation.
- Facilitate the best physical outcome for the client, including strength, range of movement and physical abilities.
- Provide education regarding safe movement, postures and manual handling (link) required for work and home life.
- Compliment return to work outcomes and suitable duties plans.
- Provide confidence related to injury recovery.
What does a hydrotherapy program involve?
1. Exercise Physiology Hydrotherapy Program – Initial Assessment
A hydrotherapy program always commences with an initial assessment. This assessment is completed by our exercise physiologist. The aim of the assessment is to ascertain a clear baseline of the client’s injury status and physical abilities/limitations. This assessment is usually completed at the pool, however can also be completed in the client’s home or our nearest Advantage Injury Management Services office.
Following the initial assessment, the client will be provided with a specific hydrotherapy program. Our exercise physiologist will demonstrate how to perform the program, as well as documenting the program for the client. Instructions regarding self-directed attendance at the pool is verbalized and documented for the client.
An Advantage Injury Management Services hydrotherapy program is always completed in a heated pool, chosen by the client. Advantage Injury Management Services has relationships with all leading pool centers throughout Southeast Queensland, and as such are happy to use pools that are close to home or work, whatever is most convenient to the client.
In most circumstances the pool membership costs are covered by the insurance company. Advantage Injury Management Services will facilitate this for the client. However, should an insurer not be involved with the injury management, costs will be provided by the client or employer. Such costs will be disclosed and confirmed in writing prior to the commencement of a hydrotherapy program.
2. Exercise Physiology Hydrotherapy Program – Monitoring & Subsequent Sessions
Usually, our exercise physiologist will meet with the client on a weekly basis to assess progress, discuss any concerns, and progress the hydrotherapy program. Our friendly exercise physiologists are happy to be contacted by phone at any time during the program to discuss concerns and questions related to the prescribed exercises and hydrotherapy program.
The length of a hydrotherapy program varies, and is dependent on the injury, recovery and the clients’ ability to self maintain their hydrotherapy program and exercises. Where appropriate, a hydrotherapy program will be progressed to a land-based gym program.
What to wear for your hydrotherapy program?
It is recommended that pool appropriate attire be worn to the hydrotherapy, for the initial assessment and consequent attendance. For example – swim wear with a t-shirt is ideal. If you are not sure what is appropriate, please contact us to discuss prior to your assessment.
When to use a hydrotherapy program?
- When a musculoskeletal injury is causing significant pain or restricted range of movement.
- If a client is unable to progress his/her suitable duties program.
- Doctor recommends a hydrotherapy program for injury management and rehabilitation.
- Prolonged time off work due to injury or illness, which can lead to significant deconditioning.
Benefits of an Advantage Injury Management Services Hydrotherapy Program:
There are a wide range of benefits from using Advantage Injury Management Services to provide a hydrotherapy program:
- Our exercise physiologists are all accredited professionals, with specialist skills in injury management and hydrotherapy exercise prescription. All our exercise physiologists are extremely skilled, with tertiary qualifications.
- Our exercise physiologist are able to provide both pool and land-based exercise programs, and therefore can combine the benefits of both where appropriate.
- Hydrotherapy programs are performed in pools and pool centers of the clients choice.
- Hydrotherapy programs are focused on injury management, injury recovery and return to work outcomes.
- Our hydrotherapy programs are outcome focused. We promote self-managed programs for long-term gain where appropriate.
- Our exercise physiologists travel throughout South East Queensland to assist clients.