Physical Conditioning Program
A physical conditioning program may also be known as a work hardening or work conditioning program. Advantage Injury Management Services is able to provide a tailored physical conditioning program to ensure a safe and sustainable return to work outcome. The physical conditioning program is set up and monitored by an accredited exercise physiologist, who is qualified and highly skilled in task analysis and exercise rehabilitation.
Physical conditioning program goals are:
- Provide injury management and injury rehabilitation to ensure a safe and sustainable return to work following injury or illness.
- Simulate work physical and functional tasks through exercise prescription, with the view to gradually build strength, endurance and ability to perform normal work tasks. This is particularly valuable where work roles are physically demanding, or require specific / difficult work endurances.
- Provide education regarding safe movement, postures and manual handling (link) required for work and home life.
- Compliment return to work goals and suitable duties plans.
- Provide confidence related to injury recovery.
What does a physical conditioning program involve?
- A worksite assessment is completed to clarify the specific work demands of the workers pre-injury work role. This assessment can be completed by the exercise physiologist or by an occupational therapist.
- A functional capacity evaluation is completed to gain a clear baseline of the client’s injury status and physical abilities/limitations. This assessment is usually completed at the nearest Advantage Injury Management Services office, however can be completed in the client’s home or a gym.
- The client will be provided with a specific physical conditioning program. The physical conditioning program usually involves gym based exercises, which our exercise physiologist will prescribe and document for the client. Instructions regarding self-directed attendance at the gym are verbalized and documented for the client.
- An Advantage Injury Management Services physical conditioning program is always completed in a gym, chosen by the client. Advantage Injury Management Services has relationships with all leading gym and fitness centers throughout Southeast Queensland, and as such are happy to use gyms that are close to home or work, whatever is most convenient to the client. In most circumstances the gym membership costs are covered by the insurance company. Advantage Injury Management Services will facilitate this for the client. However, should an insurer not be involved with the injury management, costs will be provided by the client or employer. Such costs will be disclosed and confirmed in writing prior to the commencement of a physical conditioning program.
- The physical conditioning program is monitored at the gym on a weekly basis.
- As required, the worker is reviewed at the work place to ascertain progress with return to work outcomes, and the ability to perform specific work tasks appropriately and safely.
When to use a physical conditioning program?
- When the physical demands of a return to work program are complex, physical and extremely demanding.
- If a client is unable to progress his/her suitable duties program to include all pre-injury duties.
- If required to perform very specific, physically laborious tasks to return to normal duties at work.
- Doctor recommends a physical conditioning program for injury management and rehabilitation.
- Prolonged time off work due to injury or illness, which can lead to significant deconditioning.
What are the benefits and outcomes of a physical conditioning program?
There is a wide range of benefits from using Advantage Injury Management Services to provide a physical conditioning program:
- Our exercise physiologists are all accredited professionals, with specialist skills in injury management and injury recovery. All our exercise physiologists are extremely skilled, with tertiary qualifications. We do not employ any ‘personal trainers’ to perform this specialized service.
- Physical conditioning programs are performed in gyms and fitness centers of the client’s choice.
- Physical conditioning programs are focused on injury management, injury recovery and achieving return to work outcomes.
- Our physical conditioning programs are outcome focused. We work directly with occupational therapists and other allied health professionals to ensure timely and sustainable return to work outcomes are achieved.
- Our exercise physiologists travel throughout South East Queensland to assist clients.